Data modernisation is the process of moving siloed data from legacy databases to modern cloud-based databases or lakes. Data modernisation allows organisations to be agile, eliminating inefficiencies, bottlenecks, and unnecessary complexities surrounding legacy systems. A modernised data platform is one that provisions efficient data migration, speedy ingestion, scalable and optimised storage and advanced interactive near real-time analytics, self-service discovery, and exploration enabled by good data governance (inclusive of master data management, data quality management, metadata management, data cataloguing, and the likes).
The Evolving World of Data
The influx of data from a world of connected people and things has driven the demand for modern data landscapes and advanced analytics to transform data into rich enterprise assets that can be used to generate positive business outcomes. Thanks to advances in technologies and solutions, the new data landscape is no longer constrained by limits on volume, structure, and timing.
Especially in times of uncertainty, any organisation's success is contingent on its ability to adapt to changing landscapes, both functionally and technically - this includes the way you source, profile, analyse, interpret, store, and consume information or data. A flexible, agile, scalable, efficient, and effective data and analytics platform that is as modern as these new and modern times are, is the need of the hour. Today's modernisation focus is more about remodelling the organisation to address specific business goals and not confine to pure-play cost reduction and technology play to stay relevant. Hence, focusing on aligning to a cloud-first strategy by consolidating disparate solutions becomes key to re-prioritise digital transformation from optional to vital.
Why is Data Modernisation so Important?
Data modernisation strategy has become a top priority for organisations because achieving it means delivering ideal data experiences that offer valuable, actionable insights, API-driven application integrations, and respond to the real-time needs of a dynamic business environment.
There is a continued focus on accessing and using data openly and transparently for business insights for more and more workers. With a simplified, modern data warehouse, resources are made available to help data teams deliver more value to the workforce they support. Today's workforce expects information to be readily available to everyone, from non-data specialists to data scientists and generalists.
Today, organisations want to empower their workers with the ability to perform near real-time data analytics without the hassle of infrastructure management. Businesses want these data-driven thinkers to have access to all the data they need by delivering data to all jobs and tasks regardless of where people sit within the organisation. In essence, Modern Data Platforms:
- Give users a cohesive view of data from multiple sources, make data available throughout an enterprise to those with proper permissions, and improve data governance.
- Provide employees within enterprise access to the right data at the right time, without delays in processing a volume of data or data requests.
- Allow businesses to manage their data governance strategy better. This can include what data is collected, who can access it, and when data has ‘'expired’' according to data protection and privacy regulations.
- Deliver a single point of access via modern authentication tools, such as SSO, to ensure your users' authorisation. In this way, you can easily keep track of who can access data via the platform.
- Bring data together from multiple sources, bridging organisational silos for more collaborative and effective decision-making.
- Provide the organisation with benefits such as lowered Costs, democratised data, reduced latency, increased speed of access, dynamic intelligence and analytics, accelerated time to market, and much more.
Learn how to modernise your Data stack with our Data Modernisation Workshop.
At MOQdigital, our goal is to help you deliver modern data experiences through a modern data platform. We do that by aligning with your data-centric goals, and providing you access to all your data so they can make rapid, data-driven decisions. Regardless of whether your organisation needs to modernise your database, embrace multi-cloud architecture, or advance analytics initiatives, we can help you derive better insights and make data-driven decisions at the speed of your business. If you would like to learn more about the workshop or how MOQdigital can help you in your journey to modernise your data estate, please contact us here.