Education is seeing significant change thanks to advancements in technology. Already, we have seen digital create shifts in how we approach student success, and the future will be no different. In fact, education trends in 2019 are likely going to move faster than they have these past 12 months, and technology shows no signs of slowing down.
This is a good thing because digital transformation helps equip the children of today for the future we are predicting tomorrow. These predictions help us understand how to approach engagement in the classroom and will redefine teaching and education as a whole. They include:
- Augmented Reality: Already, we are seeing an increase in adoption of Augmented and Virtual realities. Initially, a field trip item or a piece of entertainment, teachers and schools are beginning to harness the power of augmented and virtual reality to deliver experiences for their students. These include ‘visits’ to historical places, the ability to mind-map complex tasks, and an opportunity to keep students engaged and excited about learning.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI has been seen as something quite sinister in the past, but the truth is that AI presents huge opportunities in education. Artificial Intelligence can help schools understand students and allow them to move forward with educational success based on reliable and insightful data. This could also shape how we approach standardised testing, and indeed, how we monitor success within schools as a whole.
- Security: Physical security will always be a concern for schools, but thanks to advancements in technology, digital security is a big issue too. The more common digital devices become, the more educators must focus on protecting their students across digital environments – and indeed, protecting their own digital assets.
- The Internet of Things (IoT): IoT is saturating a digital market, and is becoming a part of day to day life. School is no different. IoT allows students and teachers to share and engage in real time, both with each other and with content and beyond the classroom. The Internet of Things can also be used to improve campus life, helping schools enhance physical security, make themselves more energy efficient, and be alerted of potential issues with their digital environments.
- Cost management: Digital advancements, especially those into the cloud, offer the opportunity for schools to streamline not only how they store and engage with data – but how they manage the cost of their technology as well. The Cloud and IoT are helping shape educational institutions by providing a means to not only improve their technology but doing so in such a way that it saves them money, as well as time, spend servicing and keeping old hardware up to date.
One of the most significant advancements we will see emerge in the future is personalised learning. Digital technologies have given teachers a way to monitor student progress in new and individualised ways, allowing them to keep track of how students are progressing and where they are excelling. The result is an opportunity to tailor learning to the student, allowing them to thrive and utilise methods of learning that enhance their success rather than fall behind.
There are a significant number of digital transformations on the horizon, and education is reaping the benefits of a modern world. Technology is no longer relegated to specific groups and has become more accessible and more user-friendly than ever before. There are challenges ahead, but also great opportunities for growth and success.
To find out more about how to best employ digital investments in your school, get in touch with MOQdigital today. Our team of Education consultants can help you make the most of your technology – and step up to success in 2019.